Position: Senior Plant Molecular Geneticist
Plastomics is an early-stage plant biotechnology company making more effective crops through its innovative chloroplast genetic engineering platform. We are seeking a Senior Plant Molecular Geneticist who is passionate about developing next-generation solutions to address global food challenges. The right candidate enjoys a “start-up” atmosphere and is flexible, takes initiative and is willing to take on additional tasks and responsibilities as needed to achieve goals and deliverables. Excellent communication skills are essential for this role as part of an interdisciplinary team. We are located in state-of-the-art laboratory facilities at the Donald Danforth Plant Science Center in St. Louis, Missouri.
The Senior Plant Molecular Geneticist position is a hands-on, multidisciplinary, lab-based role. The successful candidate will be responsible primarily for transformation vector development and transgene expression analysis for chloroplast and nuclear transformation technologies across multiple crops. Additionally, the ideal candidate will contribute directly to efforts across the plant transformation pipeline and in maintenance and oversight of transgenic plants.
- Design and implement transformation vector development strategies, including transgene expression approaches and subsequent analysis of transgenic events for both chloroplast and nuclear transgenic pipelines
- Perform transgenic plant analyses, including DNA, RNA and protein detection and quantification
- Provide hands-on contributions to plant transformation of multiple crops and provide oversight of transgenic plants as they progress through the laboratory and greenhouse
- Maintain detailed and organized records of project data, and regular and clear communication of research progress and results to team members and leadership
Education and Experience:
- MS with at least 10 years or PhD with at least 5 years post-graduate experience in plant molecular biology. Plant handling experience a must.
- Proven hands-on expertise in plant transformation vector development, transgene expression element discovery and analysis, and transgenic plant analysis
- Demonstrated experience with plant transformation, especially in corn and/or soybean a significant plus.
- Experience with plant handling, including shepherding of plants from the lab to the greenhouse over multiple generations, including key record keeping and stewardship
- Ability to multi-task and take on new assignments as necessary in a fast-moving startup atmosphere but with the agility to change course as needed to meet organization goals
- Independent and entrepreneurial, critical thinker, and problem solver, with a demonstrated ability to efficiently execute project tasks under tight timelines
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org